December 8, 2013, 5:42 pm
M150 Data, Computing and Information
Differences between data and information
The interchange of the words data and information is widespread, but
M150 should help you to develop a clearer understanding of the differences
between the two.
- Facts, statistics used for reference or analysis.
- Numbers, characters, symbols, images etc., which can be processed
by a computer.
- Data must be interpreted, by a human or machine, to derive meaning
- "Data is a representation of information" *
- Latin 'datum' meaning "that which is given"
- Data plural, datum singular (M150 adopts the general use of data as
singular. Not everyone agrees.)
- Knowledge derived from study, experience (by the senses), or instruction.
- Communication of intelligence.
- "Information is any kind of knowledge that is exchangeable amongst
people, about things, facts, concepts, etc., in some context."
- "Information is interpreted data" *
Next page » Data or datum?